CPI Card Group-Colorado Takes a License under Leighton’s Portfolio of “Contactless Card” Patents
Suffern, N.Y. – February 7, 2010 − General Patent Corporation (GPC), a leading patent licensing and enforcement firm, announced today on behalf of its subsidiary, Leighton Technologies LLC (Leighton), that it settled a patent lawsuit with CPI Card Group-Colorado, Inc. (CPI) of Littleton, Colo., which has licensed the Leighton portfolio of “Contactless Card” patents.
General Patent Corporation had contacted CPI claiming infringement of the Leighton patent portfolio. CPI filed an action for declaratory judgment (10 CV-02583) in U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. General Patent filed a counter-claim for patent infringement. CPI agreed to settle the patent litigation and take a license under the Leighton patents.
“General Patent is not going to be intimidated by a declaratory judgment suit and we are going to mount a vigorous defense and counterattack,” said Paul J. Lerner, Senior Vice President and General Counsel at General Patent Corporation. “We are pleased that CPI, after reviewing our counter claim for patent infringement, decided to settle the litigation and license the Leighton patents.”
CPI Card Group-Colorado, Inc. is the fifth licensee of Leighton’s portfolio of “Contactless Card” patents. The portfolio was previously licensed by Gemalto, Inc., HID Global Corporation, Oberthur Technologies Group and Allsafe Technologies, Inc.
About Leighton Technologies LLC
Leighton Technologies LLC is the owner of six “Contactless Cards” U.S. Patents:
1. 5,817,207: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
2. 6,036,099: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card and product resulting therefrom”
3. 6,214,155: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
4. 6,441,736: “Ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices and hot or cold lamination process for the manufacture of ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices”
5. 6,557,766: “Hot lamination method for a hybrid radio frequency optical memory card converting sheets into a web process”
6. 6,514,367: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card”
Leighton Technologies is a portfolio company of IP Holdings LLC, and is managed by General Patent Corporation. A non-exclusive license under these patents is available on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms. For licensing terms, please contact Kathlene Ingham at (845) 368-4000 x107. For more information, please visit www.leighton-tech.com.
About IP Holdings LLC
IP Holdings LLC, a member of the GPC Group of Companies, is an IP-centric merchant banking organization. IP Holdings provides IP-related financial services and IP brokerage, and operates an IP incubator. IP Holdings is a member of Leighton Technologies. For more information, visit www.ip-holdings.com.