Gemalto Takes a Non-Exclusive License for Leighton Technologies’ Six-Patent Portfolio of “Contactless Cards” Patents
Suffern, N.Y. − October 20, 2010 − General Patent Corporation (GPC), a leading patent licensing and enforcement firm, announced today on behalf of its subsidiary, Leighton Technologies LLC, that Gemalto, Inc. of Arlington, Va., the U.S. subsidiary of Gemalto N.V. based in Amsterdam, Netherlands, has licensed the Leighton portfolio of “Contactless Cards” patents.
The license with Gemalto, Inc. is an outcome of a patent infringement lawsuit, Leighton Technologies LLC v. United States of America, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1:10-cv-00003. Gemalto was not a defendant in this lawsuit, but was given notice of the action by the U.S. Government because, as a government vendor, it might have had an interest under applicable law. Gemalto opted to take a license for the Leighton patents on a non-exclusive basis.
“We are pleased that Gemalto chose to license the Leighton patents,” said Paul J. Lerner, Sr. VP and General Counsel at General Patent Corporation. “We hope that other government vendors of contactless cards will follow Gemalto’s example.”
Gemalto, Inc. joins HID Global Corporation, Oberthur Technologies Group and Allsafe Technologies, Inc. that have previously licensed the Leighton patents.
About Leighton Technologies LLC
Leighton Technologies LLC is the owner of six “Contactless Cards” U.S. Patents:
1. 5,817,207: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
2. 6,036,099: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card and product resulting therefrom”
3. 6,214,155: “Radio frequency identification card and hot lamination process for the manufacture of radio frequency identification cards”
4. 6,441,736: “Ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices and hot or cold lamination process for the manufacture of ultra-thin flexible durable radio frequency identification devices”
5. 6,557,766: “Hot lamination method for a hybrid radio frequency optical memory card converting sheets into a web process”
6. 6,514,367: “Hot lamination process for the manufacture of a combination contact/contactless smart card”
Leighton Technologies is a portfolio company of IP Holdings LLC, and is managed by General Patent Corporation. A non-exclusive license under these patents is available on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms. For licensing terms, please contact Kathlene Ingham at (845) 368-4000 x107. For more information, please visit www.leighton-tech.com.
About IP Holdings LLC
IP Holdings LLC, a member of the GPC Group of Companies, is an IP-centric merchant banking organization. IP Holdings provides IP-related financial services and IP brokerage, and operates an IP incubator. IP Holdings is a member of Leighton Technologies. For more information, visit www.ip-holdings.com.